On January 20th, a new US Administration took office in the midst of a global pandemic, economic crisis and deteriorated Sino-US trade & security relations. During the Trump Administration, the tech industry became the epicenter of the trade war as US and China quickly escalated their exchange of tit-for-tat tariffs and bans. What will change under a Biden Administration if anything?
neXt Curve is joined by Foong King Yew, telco industry analyst and strategy consultant to explore the following topics:
- What is the industry impact of the US-China tech war? – We discuss short history of the accelerated souring of trade and geopolitical relations between the United States and China over the past two years and how this trend has impacted tech policy up to this point and implications for the future.
- What will a Biden Administration tech policy look like? – We share our thoughts and hypotheses on what a Biden Administration tech policy will look like, especially toward China. Will it soften or can we expect a continuity of the pressure campaign launched by the Trump Administration’s Department of Commerce and State Department?
- What are the implications on the evolution of 5G globally? – We discuss the implications of a Biden tech policy on the evolution of 5G globally as the United States grapples with challenges to its current and future technology leadership and 5G leadership against an aggressive China and Chinese tech industry.
- Can the open RAN movement lend to 5G leadership? – A lot of hope is being placed into the open RAN movement as a panacea for the lopsided global tech supply chain picture and a silver bullet to take out the perceived Chinese 5G tech leadership threat; Huawei. Can the open RAN movement garner leadership?
The video webcast is available on the neXt Curve reThink YouTube channel. Click here to view the video.
For more insights on neXt Curve’s 5G & IoT End Market research themes contact us for a detailed briefing with one of our analysts. Follow our site to get updates and notifications of our research and our 2021 research agenda.
Related Content & Media
- 5G Technology Leadership: Winning in the Global Digital Economy
- The Essentiality of 5G Invention
- Industry Insight: Will Blacklisting SMIC Slow China’s Advance toward Silicon Self-Reliance and 5G Leadership?
- Industry Insight: Who Will Win 5G Gold?
- Industry Insight: China’s Trade “Win-Win” and the Phase 2 Trade Deal
Managing Director, neXt Curve
February 10, 2021
This material may not be copied, reproduced, or modified in whole or in part for any purpose except with express written permission or license from an authorized representative of neXt Curve. In addition to such written permission or license to copy, reproduce, or modify this document in whole or part, an acknowledgement of the authors of the document and all applicable portions of the copyright notice must be clearly referenced.
© 2021 neXt Curve. All rights reserved.
If you would like our research articles and blog posts emailed to you, please subscribe with your email address below.